Thursday, December 6, 2007

I'm back...

After giving Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon a good drive I'm impressed by the OS but not at all of what's out there in terms of video production tools. KDEnlive was the NLE that impressed me most and to be quite fair - if it would have been on the Mac or a WinPC it wouldn't have impressed me at all. Other softwares like PiTiVi or Kino is quite useless. Cinelerra must be the most chrash prone piece of software I've ever tested. I suspect "breathing to close to the screen" is on the list of crash descriptions.

Most of the video projects out there have been in alfa for many years. The totally useless Jashaka package is currently in version 2. But it's still alfa. Maybe the team should rethink the version numbering.

Cinepaint is useful but for very small things like retouching frames. Nothing you can't do as easy or easier in a package like After Effects.

Right now Linux have two commercial packages that makes the latform interesting and that's Fusion and Nuke. None of those are Non Linear Editors. Right now simple and free softwares like Windows MovieMaker and Apples iMovie looks like high end finishing suites compared to whats available on the Linux platform.

I fear this blog isn't going to be as active as I had hoped.

1 comment:

Teremok said...

I totally agree with you. I've tried everything out there. All I want to do is edit some dv clips together with some vob clips, a couple of png/jpegs and put a synced audio file underneath. Cinelerra handles formats great and I like the power it seems to have...but it is RIDICULOUS the amount it crashes - like pressing shift+u for a default transition would crash everytime!! PiTiVI handled vobs which surprised me, but I couldn't even save my project...the buttons were greyed out - so naturally that experience lasted about 2 minutes! Kino is great for capturing and snipping DV footage, but for NLE...no chance. KDEnlive looks promising until you get a little way into a project and things stop working, and the audio can be jittery and clip for no reason. Also I've had projects that refused to render the way they previewed...often just a blank white screen!
I personally hated MainActor...not user friendly and didn't seem to work well at all for me.
Mind you I've used Pinnacle liquid edition on a windoze box and it took about 2 days to figure out (with the manual) how to use it...and it still was quite limited.
Oh I dream of the day someone donates me a brand new Mac with Final Cut Studio =)